Until the end of the 1700s Camborne was a typical west Cornish churchtown. A few cottages huddled around a church, surrounded by scattered settlements. As deep mining grew in the early 1800s, Camborne grew with it. Houses were built to the east of the church on land owned by the Vyvyans of Trelowarren and Bassets of Tehidy.
Population 1861: 7,000
Population 2011: 20,800
Planned population 2031: 25,100