The book, The Surnames of Cornwall, a gazetteer of family names in Cornwall, grew out of my Surnames of Cornwall Project. That aimed to inject a bit more rigour into the study of surnames by looking at the historical evidence for their geographical distribution and at early spellings. This often enables us to pin down their origin and sometimes helps confirm suggested meanings. The Surnames of Cornwall
- gives the purported meanings for 760 of the surnames which were the most common or the most unique to Cornwall in past times.
- includes spelling variants of the names.
- describes the areas in which the names originated and where they were found in the 1800s.
- notes some well-known bearers of some of the names.
- includes an introduction setting out the context for the study of surnames.
The book is supported by maps (see example below), which are online at this site. These provide snapshots of the distribution of names in the 1861 Census.
The paperback book is on sale at Amazon for £9.99. It’s available on all the Amazon sites apart from Australia. However, there is also an ebook, priced at £4.99, and you can order that from amazon.au