Redruth was a planted medieval town of the 1300s, growing around the crossing point of a small stream. It gained a market and fair in 1533 but remained fairly insignificant until the rise of copper mining in the 1700s. This catapulted it into functioning as the principal market for the central mining district.
Population 1861: 8,000
Population 2011: 14,000
Planned population 2031: 16,900