Truro was planted by its landlord, Richard de Luci, Henry II’s chief justice in 1153. His aim was the enhanced rental income. The town soon became a major market, sited at the head of the navigable river and at the point where the main east-west route crossed the rivers. A small castle was built and a Dominican friary founded. Around 1300 it became a coinage town and later the centre of the tin trade.
Population 1861: 11,000
Population 2011: 18,800
Planned population 2031: 27,600